New blog domain: kula.blog

It's still work in progress but new posts will be published on  https://kula.blog/ Thanks to 11ty base blog RSS is working from the start so it should be easy to add to your reader if you still use any :) If now then I hope you can sign up to the newsletter where I'll be publishing new posts and interesting articles to it from time to time. Please use  kula.blog  from now on.

June Update


Project/Game


At the end of May I wanted to try idea from "First 20 Hours". Unfortunately I must admit that it didn't work for me. Probably because I didn't want to give up on everything else I was doing and because of 'emotional' problems that he mentioned. Basically fear of failing, anxiety. I'm not sure but it's my guess.

So what I managed to do?

Memrise:


  1. http://www.memrise.com/course/48407/upper-intermediate-english/
  2. http://www.memrise.com/course/70773/advanced-english-7/
  3. http://www.memrise.com/course/81764/english-months/
  4. http://www.memrise.com/course/3093/advanced-vocabulary-2/ (not all levels)
  5. http://www.memrise.com/course/86390/gsp-gowny-system-pamieciowy-2/
I managed to keep up with words I already learned and practiced them whenever memrise asked me to recall them.

Duolingo:



I'm at level 9 in english right now. I'm trying to practice every day and get at least 20 points (it's about two lessons a day). I could say that it's really good exercise for ma as I get to forget about using 'a', 'an' and 'the'.  You can also read my post on memrise and duolingo but I basically see them both useful in it's own way :)


Books:


I have finished really long game design book: The Art of Game Design: A book of lenses by Jesse Schell. It took me about 3 weeks to read it. It's pretty long but totally worth it. 


That's about it..


So time to create rough plan for the next month. 

July:




  1. I want to read Flow (1989) The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi it's pretty old but first chapter is awesome. This book was referenced and quoted so many times in other books I read that there must be something awesome about it.
  2. Learn to play on guitar. I wanted to learn it from at least half a year. Of course without much success but with a lot of frustration.
    1.  Yesterday I found interesting site to learn it online in an interactive way, it's called getinstinct.com. I have tried it and I have at least some feedback how I'm doing and clear plan what I should play and when. 
    2. Another great resource I found is justinguitar.com. It's great to see someone explaining and showing how to do things. Right now I'm thinking about taking those at the same time.
  3. Game: My current pet project needs much more time and last month I totally failed and haven't worked on it much. Maybe this is just silly small game but I still want to finish it.
  4. Duolingo: keep practicing every day for at least 20 points.
  5. Memrise: keep on practice. Try not to learn new words. At the end of month I may learn some new levels from advanced vocabulary course. Right now I know 7 out of 26 levels. But this should be low priority.
  6. More books: I have really long backlog of books. I try to read one book at a time so I will think about them after I finish "Flow".
  7. Pool. I started new course so two times per week I'm going to spent my afternoon learning how to swim. btw. It's much more fun when you get hints and challenges from the coach than just going to swim back and forth. 
  8. Spend more time with my wife :) She almost finished university and after she defend her master's thesis we are going to play more games together ("Game of Thrones" card game is collects dust for a months...) and maybe go for some sightseeing or maybe on the mountains. We'll see. 

Extra:
  1. Write app in React.js
  2. Learn iOS programming (probably with Objective C) as I have more materials and Swift still have some issues. 

August:

  1. Tai-Chi: it may be a long time but I already signed up for a course next month. It will be two times per week so for some time I will spent most of my afternoons outside. 


Some books on backlog:

Switch
iOS Programming
The Secrets of JavaScript Ninja
Steal Like an Artist
Decisive

Even more

A Whack on the Side of the Head
Seven More Languages in Seven Weeks (especially Lua)
Personal MBA
Mastery
Getting Things Done
Creative Workshop
Thinking with Type
Hooked
NoSQL Distilled
High-Performance Browser Networking
Emotional Intelligence
The 48 Laws of Power


I try to prioritize based on recommendations from my friends and what I hear on ReadingClub so things may change and othen change a lot on my list :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use NPM packages from private repositories on bitbucket

How to simulate slow connection (developer proxy in Node.js)