New blog domain: kula.blog

It's still work in progress but new posts will be published on  https://kula.blog/ Thanks to 11ty base blog RSS is working from the start so it should be easy to add to your reader if you still use any :) If now then I hope you can sign up to the newsletter where I'll be publishing new posts and interesting articles to it from time to time. Please use  kula.blog  from now on.

Plans for 2015


Next year will be about big changes. In January, my wife and I are going to Gibraltar. I hope it will be very educative experience to work in English speaking country. Good thing about new job is that finally I will be working on HTML5 Games - something I was thinking about for a couple of years already.

Most of the people make new resolutions to do something... unfortunately it does not work for me. The best thing I can decide to do is to create new habits. It might be a strange idea, but I am not the only one who thinks that way, for example, read "5 Ideas to Create an Amazing 2015".

I want to adjust how I have managed my plans and task and I really like the idea of weekly adjustments. This is something that I have done randomly - sometimes even after a couple of months so I hope it can really help me.

Saying that I have some big ideas and I think that putting them here can help me remember about them during the year. It may inspire your own goals so here it is:

Learn English
- I think it is the most important item on my list. Both my work and blog should benefit ;)

Learn Spanish
- Gibraltar is really small and expensive. To rent a flat, shop of just travel around Spain will be much easier knowing Spanish as many people in Spain do not know English unfortunately.

Continue Learning iOS
- I am not sure about this one. I have a bunch of books and courses and "sunk costs fallacy" makes me want to continue. I have spend so much time learning it that I hope that with relatively small amount of time I will be proficient enough to create simple apps as side projects. I really hope that Apple will open-source Swift programming language so that I could use it for server-side programming.

Learn Emacs or WebStorm
- I will try Emacs as a primary editor for two weeks and even if I fail it would be nice to know Emacs keybindings that are common, for example in terminal or many Mac apps. If Emacs will not be enough then I will switch to WebStorm. IntelliJ IDEA is really loved by the best programmers I know so there must be something good about it.

Learn 3D
* OpenGL Book
* 3D Game Programming for Kids
* Unity 3D course
- It is something conflicting (in a sense that it takes a lot of time that I want to spend) with iOS but 3D is so visually impressive that I cannot really remove it from my todo list entirely. Sunk cost works here as well, I bought books about OpenGL and Unity3D video course...

All of those can already take more than a year and I have more on my list...

Design
- I am mostly thinking about Sketch3 for iOS, Photoshop for web development and maybe GIMP for PixelArt. Those are mostly tools - the most important is gaining experience - it takes even more time.

Music
- It is not worth it to take my guitar with me so after I have settled up I have to decide if I want to buy a new one in Spain? Best I managed this year is 30 minutes a day and this is not really enough for me to feel like I make real progress. This is also hard to practice late at night - electric guitar or electric piano (as one of my friends bought) are much friendlier for spouses and neighbours.

Books
- My new idea is to read when I cannot work on the Mac - it forces me to program more, the downside is that I really value reading and I think that I learned a lot in past two years.

Orthodontist
- I have to find a new one, just that.

Swimming
- Figure out where I can swim, and how to do that two times per week.

LISP
- Clojure or Racket intrigue me and I really want to learn at least one of them.



I also want to continue:

* stretching for 30min every day
* meditation
* commit to Github every day
* Duolingo English
* Duolingo Spanish
* Memrise (keep all the words fresh) and learn two new English courses (about 4800 words and phrases)
* Journal
* plan the next day on evenings
* reflect and adjust habits on Sundays

Lots of things. I have no idea how thing will turn out. I might not be able to do any of them. Who knows? Nonetheless, I found it valuable to have this list in one place. Hope it can inspire you to at least think about your bucket/todo list.

Happy New Year!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use NPM packages from private repositories on bitbucket

How to simulate slow connection (developer proxy in Node.js)