New blog domain: kula.blog

It's still work in progress but new posts will be published on  https://kula.blog/ Thanks to 11ty base blog RSS is working from the start so it should be easy to add to your reader if you still use any :) If now then I hope you can sign up to the newsletter where I'll be publishing new posts and interesting articles to it from time to time. Please use  kula.blog  from now on.

Course Review: Learning How to Learn


I have finished the "Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects
by Dr. Barbara Oakley, Dr. Terrence Sejnowski" and I can assure you that it is great! I really hope that everyone else watch videos from the course.

My own TLDR:
  1. When you read or learn - user recall. It is super effective!
  2. Use Pomodoro to focus
  3. Use Pomodoro breaks to go to diffusive mode to make more creative connections in the brain.
  4. Exercise - it helps your neurons survive and learn. It is good to trigger diffusive mode as well.
  5. Create your own metaphors and analogies (especially visual ones)
  6. Test yourself, reading everything like a novel is not enough (at least use recall).
  7. It is ok to learn something, drop it and go back to it after some time. Next time it will be easier. 
  8. Process over Product
Two biggest takeaways from the course are: Stop reading books like novels, at least use recall after each page or chapter. I was reading books without recall and it is really hard for me to remember even the most important ideas from the book. On the other hand, I can remember how in primary and secondary school I was using it with great effect. Time to learn my own old habits :)

Second idea is how important Pomodoro is for dealing with procrastination. Yes, I am a procrastinator. Fortunately, Pomodoro really works for me. Problem is only to start it. Still right now I am really motivated to do it much more so it is a good thing for sure. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use NPM packages from private repositories on bitbucket

How to simulate slow connection (developer proxy in Node.js)