New blog domain: kula.blog

It's still work in progress but new posts will be published on  https://kula.blog/ Thanks to 11ty base blog RSS is working from the start so it should be easy to add to your reader if you still use any :) If now then I hope you can sign up to the newsletter where I'll be publishing new posts and interesting articles to it from time to time. Please use  kula.blog  from now on.

October Update - Code & Node.js in Action

Short update from last month and my plans for November.

Books:





Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software by Charles Petzold
This book was first published in 1999 but story and code that it teaches is still relevant today. This book is just everything I always wanted to read and know about computer hardware and software. This is really a missing link that unifies all different subjects I know about both hardware and software. Book is mostly really easy to read, and creates a story and builds up knowledge in a reader with every chapter. I think is is one of the must read book for every programmer! :)
Rating: 10/10 best book on a subject I have read.



Lean UX. Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience By Jeff Gothelf
Another book about Lean principle in software development, this time how to make design team part of Agile and how to make them Lean. In my opinion the best value of this book is in stories that Jeff have from forcing Design/UX people into Lean/Agile. Graph at the end of book is just awesome, and it's clear that every company can have different solutions to the same problem. 
Rating: 5/10 There are good thoughts but most of it could be put into longer blog post. It should have more content or be even shorter.



Revenge of the Witch/The Spook's Apprentice, 2004 by Joseph Delaney
This is fantasy again. Friend recommended me this book and I have watched trailer of Seventh Son so I couldn't resist :) 
Book is really short (I have read it in Polish) and it took me about 2 hours to read it. This is not best book I've read but it was fun to read. Right now I'm curious how it would be to read it in English.




Node.js in Action by Mike Cantelon, Marc Harter, T.J. Holowaychuk and Nathan Rajlich
Pretty long book. Every chapter took me about one hour to read. I have learnt a lot about Node.js and Express framework. I can recommend it to anyone wanting to learn Node.js. 
Rating: 9/10


Events:

Gamedev.js Kraków #1: Canvas basics - I have organized short GameJam with intent to learn basics of canvas for Game Development. Group was really smal (about 10 people) but it was really fun to hack together. I have even created a Pen with both things to read and final games: http://cdpn.io/EzDnd


Planned Events:

  1. Reading Club 6-th of November
  2. Gamedev.js Kraków #2: CreateJS 7-th of November
  3. Gamedev.js GameJam Kraków 17-th of November
  4. Meet.js Kraków 19-th of November

Pending:

  1. Memrise - Upper-intermediate English 440 / 962
  2. Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials by Will Goldstone
  3. MongoDB course (2/7 weeks)

Plans:

  1. The Book of GIMP & Drawing
  2. Seven Databases in Seven Weeks by Eric Redmond
  3. Github Game Off 2013 - "change"





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use NPM packages from private repositories on bitbucket

How to simulate slow connection (developer proxy in Node.js)