New blog domain: kula.blog

It's still work in progress but new posts will be published on  https://kula.blog/ Thanks to 11ty base blog RSS is working from the start so it should be easy to add to your reader if you still use any :) If now then I hope you can sign up to the newsletter where I'll be publishing new posts and interesting articles to it from time to time. Please use  kula.blog  from now on.

Reading list update - December 2012



Last month I spent more time reading books than on the web, part of this because I got a couple of books from Santa and another part is because I my new company there is really nice culture of reading books.

So in order of end date:
  1.  Test-Driven JavaScript Development by Christian Johansen http://tddjs.com/ - really good book but it was hard to finish, at some time I stopped writing examples and read it till the end just to get most important ideas of it. Nevertheless really good book and introduction to TDD.
  2. You Are Not So Smart by David McRaney http://youarenotsosmart.com/ - about most common biases and how I am stupid ;)
  3.  JavaScript Design Patterns - but this one was in Polish from Helion. Pretty good one and much better than I thought earlier.
  4. The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card - This on is fantasy book :)
  5. Pragmatic Learning and Thinking by Andy Hunt - another good book about mind and learning
  6. Async JavaScript by Trevor Burnham - Short and really good book about async in general and ways to deal with it. I can recommend it to all JS developers.
  7. The Name Of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - another really good fantasy book. One of interesting things about this book was ideas described in You Are Not So Smart and Pragmatic Learning and Thinking were used there :)
  8. Novels by Lovecraft about eg. Cthulu. I liked it in middle school but unfortunately now it wasn't so fun to read as then... But really good to read it in some point in life. 
I have even more books than I want to read. Now I want to read Professional HTML5 Mobile Game Development by Pascal Rettig but one hard part about this is that I have about 1 hour of free time to read on my way to and from work in the tram. Obviously without PC to write code examples in it...

I need to get some idea how to handle it, read two books at once or read book my way home and write code when I'm back. I must experiment with it...

Ok my plans for next year:

  1. Professional HTML5 Mobile Game Development by Pascal Rettig
  2. Make: Electronics. Learning Through Discovery By Charles Platt
  3. Przemów do nich! Teoria i praktyka wystapień publicznych by Jarosław Kordziński - this one is about public speaking and is really short.
  4. Unity Game Development Essentials by Will Goldstone
  5. Maintanable JS
  6. Effective JS
  7. SMACSS
I think that seven books is enough to post it in public and at the same time motivating for me. I have much more books in my Books board in Trello :)

 
I am experimenting with dynamic layouts in blogger, let me know how it works.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use NPM packages from private repositories on bitbucket

How to simulate slow connection (developer proxy in Node.js)