Reading list update - December 2012
Last month I spent more time reading books than on the web, part of this because I got a couple of books from Santa and another part is because I my new company there is really nice culture of reading books.
So in order of end date:
- You Are Not So Smart by David McRaney http://youarenotsosmart.com/ - about most common biases and how I am stupid ;)
- The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card - This on is fantasy book :)
- Pragmatic Learning and Thinking by Andy Hunt - another good book about mind and learning
- The Name Of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - another really good fantasy book. One of interesting things about this book was ideas described in You Are Not So Smart and Pragmatic Learning and Thinking were used there :)
- Novels by Lovecraft about eg. Cthulu. I liked it in middle school but unfortunately now it wasn't so fun to read as then... But really good to read it in some point in life.
I have even more books than I want to read. Now I want to read Professional HTML5 Mobile Game Development by Pascal Rettig but one hard part about this is that I have about 1 hour of free time to read on my way to and from work in the tram. Obviously without PC to write code examples in it...
I need to get some idea how to handle it, read two books at once or read book my way home and write code when I'm back. I must experiment with it...
Ok my plans for next year:
- Professional HTML5 Mobile Game Development by Pascal Rettig
- Make: Electronics. Learning Through Discovery By Charles Platt
- Przemów do nich! Teoria i praktyka wystapień publicznych by Jarosław Kordziński - this one is about public speaking and is really short.
- Unity Game Development Essentials by Will Goldstone
- Maintanable JS
- Effective JS
I think that seven books is enough to post it in public and at the same time motivating for me. I have much more books in my Books board in Trello :)
I am experimenting with dynamic layouts in blogger, let me know how it works.