Skype 4 installation on Ubuntu 12.04

Yesterday I tried to install Skype, but I have already installed one from Software Center (Skype 2.0) and installation of DEB file faild due to:


(Reading database ... 
(Reading database ... 5%
(Reading database ... 10%
(Reading database ... 15%
(Reading database ... 20%
(Reading database ... 25%
(Reading database ... 30%
(Reading database ... 35%
(Reading database ... 40%
(Reading database ... 45%
(Reading database ... 50%
(Reading database ... 55%
(Reading database ... 60%
(Reading database ... 65%
(Reading database ... 70%
(Reading database ... 75%
(Reading database ... 80%
(Reading database ... 85%
(Reading database ... 90%
(Reading database ... 95%
(Reading database ... 100%
(Reading database ... 193346 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking skype (from .../skype-ubuntu_4.0.0.7-1_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /home/kris/Downloads/skype-ubuntu_4.0.0.7-1_amd64.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite '/etc/dbus-1/system.d/skype.conf', which is also in package skype-bin:i386 2.2.0.35-0precise3
dpkg-deb (subprocess): data: internal gzip write error: Broken pipe
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess  returned error exit status 2
dpkg-deb (subprocess): failed in write on buffer copy for failed to write to pipe in copy: Broken pipe
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /home/kris/Downloads/skype-ubuntu_4.0.0.7-1_amd64.deb
After some googling I found solution (simply unistalling skype is not enough):

$ sudo apt-get --purge remove skype
$ sudo apt-get --purge remove skype-bin
$ sudo apt-get autoremove
After that installation worked and I can use new Skype :)

Hope this will help if you will have the same issue.

Credits: http://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/Skype-won-t-upgrade-to-4-on-Ubuntu-12-04/m-p/795468

Comments

  1. for me, it was enough to remove package skype-bin:i386 like this:

    sudo apt-get purge skype-bin:i386

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments:

Popular posts from this blog

How to simulate slow connection (developer proxy in Node.js)

I've spent an hour debugging XSRF error because of ... fetch