Skip to main content

Book Review: HTML5 Games Development by Example

HTML5 Games Development by Example: Beginner’s Guide by Makzan is as title suggest is intended for beginners. Unfortunately I'm not sure if it is true. Content is really good and I liked it, but there are many, many errors in code in listings, so I think that I had problem with almost every example. Don't get me wrong, this was mostly simple errors, and source code that I downloaded from PacktPub website was working but bad taste still exists. The worst one was first, I search for my own typo and finally find that variables has two names. It looks like in book is a mix of code from before and after refactoring. Bugs was easy and all looks similar, they was just annoying.

Tips for other readers:
  • Download source code
  • Keep in mind that code in book has bugs
  • Keep internet connection on (some images and WebFonts to download)
Links to book:

Sample chapter: http://www.packtpub.com/sites/default/files/1260OT-Chapter-5-Building-a-Canvas-Games-Masterclass.pdf?utm_source=packtpub&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=pdf

More about book:

First: I like this book! It is practical, build around simple games, has little boxes with definitions of used functions. Great! Only this bugs in source code, but they are simple, easy to fix.
Book is really fun to read, while reading I build some simple games that are easy to extend to even more awesome games. I was amazed how this kind of games can be easy to build! 
Games was created in HTM5 and CSS3. Most of games are created using Canvas HTML5 tag, that was great! But I must admit that for me most amazing was game with CSS3 Cards, I just don't know why :) In this chapter I used for the first time WebFonts, and it was super easy! Until then I just wasn't time and opportunity to use them, and now it would be obvious to use them. +1 for author :) Book has much more those tiny little examples of things that I learned and are not strictly for games.

Chapter Chapter 8: Building a Multiplayer Draw-and-Guess Game with WebSockets wasn't so interesting for me, besides I created chats and used Node.js, library used in this chapter is now not working in Chrome. If this is new to someone try Socket.io or maybe wait for new version of library that will work. 

Rating:
I rate it 8/10, I was thinking about 7, but this would be not fair. 
Book was good, has some refactoring bugs, but content is good enough to make good really good in my opinion! There was no weaker chapters and in all of them are really good. I can recommend this book, so if you want to read book about HTML5 games, buy it :) 

Comments

  1. I just searching this kind of things in search engines. My searching was ending here. Keep up your good work. I bookmarked it for general updates.
    html5 player| html5 video player

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool demonstration! thanks for your post,like it you guyz you are doing a wonderful work thanks.html5 music player

    ReplyDelete
  3. HTML5 Webdesign is an innovative version of HTML to meet the client. Many Website Design and creating organizations using accessibility of HTML5 semantic components for web style.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments:

Popular posts from this blog

Course Review: The Bitfountain iOS 8 with Swift Immersive

This is second big iOS learning project. For first one read iOS Programming book review. As I only have two of them done I have to compare them somehow.

I am mindful that it took me a really long time to finish it (since last autumn). For a couple of months this year I didn't even have the internet to learn it, so it could not be helped. But last half of the June I've spent watching the videos every day and managed to finish it before any new internet problems.

So how was it?
In my opinion, it's great if you're starting out. There are a lot of basics, and seeing how to do things in XCode just makes your learning much easier than looking at the photos in the book. On the other hand, learning is more shallow and it is much easier to just follow the videos and learn only the basics without bigger picture about iOS SDK. I somehow missed more challenging exercises (even though I don't like to do them ;)

Length:
Course it pretty long but many videos are quite short (1-2…

How to Learn when Life is Short

I haven't really think this through but I have read really interesting articles recently and I just wanted to write for myself later.

Life is Short by Paul Graham

It's just that, learn from people older that you what is most important, and that life actually is short...

Instead of Goals or Resolutions, Try Creating Rules by Leo Babuta

In the time of New Year Resolutions, it's good to read something that is proposing different way of achieving things. Still I see much more value in habits than setting goals. But...

The Easy Way To Learn Hard Stuff by Per Harald Borgen
It's something that I read from time to time and I know it works sometimes for me. The things I learn then are really learned and something Jakub Wasilewski  has told me many times to do. Still it's uncomfortable and for some reason, I have failed to use this method more than once or twice. Writing it here so maybe I can think about it more and figure out how to do that more often.

Towards an understandin…