New blog domain: kula.blog

It's still work in progress but new posts will be published on  https://kula.blog/ Thanks to 11ty base blog RSS is working from the start so it should be easy to add to your reader if you still use any :) If now then I hope you can sign up to the newsletter where I'll be publishing new posts and interesting articles to it from time to time. Please use  kula.blog  from now on.

Course Review: The Bitfountain iOS 8 with Swift Immersive


This is second big iOS learning project. For first one read iOS Programming book review. As I only have two of them done I have to compare them somehow.

I am mindful that it took me a really long time to finish it (since last autumn). For a couple of months this year I didn't even have the internet to learn it, so it could not be helped. But last half of the June I've spent watching the videos every day and managed to finish it before any new internet problems.

So how was it?
In my opinion, it's great if you're starting out. There are a lot of basics, and seeing how to do things in XCode just makes your learning much easier than looking at the photos in the book. On the other hand, learning is more shallow and it is much easier to just follow the videos and learn only the basics without bigger picture about iOS SDK. I somehow missed more challenging exercises (even though I don't like to do them ;)

Length:
Course it pretty long but many videos are quite short (1-2 minutes) so it's easy to keep the momentum.

Bugs:
Swift and XCode are changing all the time, fortunately, every video has it's comments section where other participants post their solutions. It was very helpful and community is very strong part of the course because of that.

What I learned:
In iOS Programming, I felt that I want to learn more about Swift and Storyboards and I found it in this course.  Last project in the course uses a lot of external libraries and CocoaPods. I wanted to try CocoaPods and it was great to have such nice introduction in the course.

Cons:
If you're a hacker type of person then it will be boring - you may want to see only selected videos or just go with the documentation.
The course is mostly for beginners, so if you know iOS but want to learn Swift it's not for you.


Rating: 8/10

Comments

  1. Hey so about how long did it take you to get through the whole thing, if you don't mind me asking? I wanted to start on the course, but I was just looking for a rough estimate of how long people take to get through it so I could set a goal time to get through the material. I feel like it's a bit daunting at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really hard question. First around a month a couple of videos per week and then around two weeks with more effort - like 10 videos and more a day.

    My best idea is to set yourself a goal of a number of videos per week you want to go through. 60 if you can focus on it, and 12 if you are already busy.

    Please let me know if that helps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments:

Popular posts from this blog

How to use NPM packages from private repositories on bitbucket

How to simulate slow connection (developer proxy in Node.js)