New blog domain: kula.blog

It's still work in progress but new posts will be published on  https://kula.blog/ Thanks to 11ty base blog RSS is working from the start so it should be easy to add to your reader if you still use any :) If now then I hope you can sign up to the newsletter where I'll be publishing new posts and interesting articles to it from time to time. Please use  kula.blog  from now on.

November Update - MongoDB for Node.js Developers and Presentations


Organized Events:

  1. Reading Club 6-th of November
  2. Gamedev.js Kraków #2: CreateJS 7-th of November
  3. Gamedev.js GameJam Kraków 17-th of November
  4. Meet.js Kraków 19-th of November


Books:



GRYWALIZACJA. Jak zastosować reguły gier w działaniach marketingowych Autor: Paweł Tkaczyk


Really good book!
It's distilled knowledge about gamification everything connected to it. Mostly things like fun, motivation, types of players and personalities. What is good in this book is that it gives you not only higher perspective but also gives some good ideas that you can use to use gamification in personal life.
9/10



Sezon burz Autor: Andrzej Sapkowski

Another good book from the author of The Witcher!
First chapters weren't so good but it gets better with every page and at the end you just want more.
Rating 8/10.


Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials by Will Goldstone

I shouldn't rating this book as I read this to broaden my understanding of 3D and tools for 3D. Probably it's useful. For me it was easy to read and I learn't how working with 3D and creating a game works in practice :)



100 Things Every Presenter Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) by Susan Weinschenk

Really good book in my opinion. Both in case of psychology and presentations. I really liked short chapters with clear things to remember.
Rating: 8/10. If you want to present something it's must to read!
Pretty long course but well prepared. Of course it's will not give you practical experience like working on project with mongodb but for me it's a good way to get around and help you know the basics, learn how to start, what to look for. For me most interesting part was about replica sets and sharding, as I never had time to read about it in traditional databases but I think that this should work in the same way in most databases.
From me 6/10. It's really good way to start, and schedule and certificate at the end is a good motivator to spend this couple of hours every week. I know that there is much more to mongodb than this course covers so I can't give it more than 6.



Psychologia Zmiany by Marek Skała

Fun and easy to read book loosely connected with psychology. Great comics of Andrzej Mleczko.
6/10.

Plans:

  1. The Book of GIMP & Drawing
  2. Effective Java by Joshua Bloch - some Java to help me decide which language to learn next year.
  3. Memrise - Upper-intermediate English 440 / 962 ==> 472 / 962 (+32)
  4. Ice by Jacek Dukaj - I'm already near the end. Really good book!
  5. Reading Club - 5 December (Today!)
  6. http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/
  7. Ego-rcyzmy. Poznaj, czym jest i jak działa ego by: Mateusz Grzesiak
  8. Foundation HTML5 Animation with JavaScript by Billy Lamberta and Keith Peters

Failed:

  1. Seven Databases in Seven Weeks by Eric Redmond  There is no need for me to read whole of. Already finished chapter about Redis. 
  2. Github Game Off 2013 - "change"  I have failed again to finish something in one month. I need to change something... Maybe Global Game Jam in January? It sound's more probable as this is over one weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use NPM packages from private repositories on bitbucket

How to simulate slow connection (developer proxy in Node.js)